Quentin Tarantino released his annual top 10 ‘best’ movies of 2013 on his website, the Quentin Tarantino Archives. His list includes (in alphabetical order)…
- Afternoon Delight (Jill Soloway)
- Before Midnight (Richard Linklater)
- Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen)
- The Conjuring (James Wan)
- Drinking Buddies (Joe Swanberg)
- Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach)
- Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)
- Kick Ass 2 (Jeff Wadlow)
- The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski)
- This Is The End (Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg)
Just recently, the director gushed about the Israeli film “Big Bad Wolves” and called it the ‘best film of the year’, so I suppose this list would include that one now. While the inclusion of universally panned movies like Kick Ass 2 and the Lone Ranger is questionable at best, he’s included the highly acclaimed Gravity and Before Midnight as well.
Speaking of highly-acclaimed some of the top-rated movies of 2013 include the Spectacular Now, Mud, Rush, Star Trek Into Darkness and the recently released Captain Phillips. As for the movies coming out the next few months before 2013 comes to an end, I expect some heavy Oscar contenders. Those including Kill Your Darlings, Ender’s Game, Thor: The Dark World, and American Hustle.
What would your list include? Would it include the Lone Ranger?
The answer is no. No, it wouldn’t.